Skin care has become incredibly complicated – but it doesn’t have to be.
Despite what the multi-billion dollar cosmetics industry would like you to believe, it’s absolutely possible to look and feel great using local products made of simple and natural ingredients – and I’m here to show you the way.
My name is Maria Velve, a certified make-up artist and green beauty expert on a mission to:
- Connect you with clean and effective products made right here in Canada, and
- Teach you how to use them in a way that makes you feel fresh, confident and – most importantly – like yourself.
I do this through makeup consultations, lessons and application in Toronto (and beyond) an online shop where you’ll find a curated selection of my favourite make-up and self-care products and tons of free resources and reviews.
All of the products I use, recommend and sell are made in Canada from natural (and often local) ingredients – some using recipes passed down through generations. I recommend only those I’ve thoroughly researched, tested and fallen in love with.
My pledge to you
- To bring you the best in Canadian makeup and skin care, made by real people I’ve met in person (like Helena, Graydon Skincare, and Candace)
- To provide you with the most up-to-date news and information on ingredients and Canadian skincare and makeup brands
- To be impartial and transparent regarding what works and what doesn’t, based on personal testing and research
- To provide simple advice, tips and techniques for every woman
I’m a make-up artist and a college professor by trade – an unusual combination that has made for an interesting career. I’ve taught English in Korea, done intricate costume make-up for films, and managed a busy downtown Toronto luxury spa.
While I loved many things about both teaching and my make-up work, I always felt like something was missing – until I found my calling in this business.
That happened quite by accident when my second son, Markus, developed severe skin issues as a baby. In an effort to figure out why this was happening – and how to fix it – I began to question everything in my house. I quickly learned just how many toxic and potentially harmful ingredients are hiding in the products we put on our skin – and how hard it is to break through the noise (and the greenwashing) to find clean and natural alternatives.
On that eye-opening journey I discovered two things:
- That Canada has a treasure trove of options when it comes to green beauty, and
- That there are SO many other women out there looking for the same thing I was
I felt compelled to share what I was learning – so I began to meet with women, introduce them to the beautiful products I had discovered, and teach them to use them with confidence – and the rest, as they say, is history. Helping women choose and use clean beauty products feeds my desire to teach, to connect on a human level, and to make a real difference in people’s lives – and the world.
My overall message to you – and the reason this business exists – boils down to this: What we put on our skin matters. But the bottle it comes in doesn’t. I want you to feel wonderful and pampered – but not because you spent hundreds of dollars on a product in a fancy package that a celebrity told you to buy. I want you to feel it because the products you use are free of harmful chemicals, full of nutrient-dense ingredients, and made with love, passion and the best that nature has to offer.
I still teach college-level ESL through George Brown College one day per week. When I’m not there or researching clean beauty, you’ll find me spending time with my husband and two young boys. I also love yoga, making art with my kids, and travel.