This is a longer video tutorial because I had much to say about makeup mistakes that age you and how to fix them. Makeup preferences and techniques can vary widely. Although there are no strict makeup rules about what you should or shouldn’t do, certain makeup mistakes can age you over 40. As a woman in her mid-40s I can say that you might consider adjusting your makeup routine and colours to enhance your features better at this stage in your life and address any changes in skin texture or tone. Here are some common makeup mistakes that women over 40 might want to be mindful of. I include seven makeup mistakes in my video, so check them out!
Makeup Mistakes that age you over 40
1.Using Too Much Foundation:
- Heavy foundation can settle into fine lines and wrinkles, making them more noticeable. Opt for a lighter, buildable foundation or tinted moisturizer to achieve a more natural look.
2. Neglecting Primer:
- Using a makeup primer can help create a smooth base for foundation and minimize the appearance of pores and fine lines. This can enhance the longevity and overall finish of your makeup. Not priming your skin is one of the biggest mistakes because it affects how your makeup will look. You can also apply your skincare and allow it to absorb for 3-5 minutes before makeup application.
3. Ignoring Eyebrows or making them too dark
- Sparse or overplucked eyebrows can age the face. The same goes for brows that are too dark or strong! Fill in your eyebrows using a brow powder or soft pencil in a shade that compliments your features. This will frame the eyes and create a more youthful appearance.
4.Using Shimmery Products Excessively:
- Shimmer can draw attention to fine lines and wrinkles. Shimmery products like eye shadows can also accentuate features that have started shifting downwards like your eyes. Check out my blog post about how menopause can affect your skin. While a subtle shimmer here and there can be beautiful, avoid excessive use, especially on areas with texture. If you’re in Toronto or GTA and need a refresher session, check out my services here. Watch the video for the rest of my tips!